Cholera: Symptoms and Homeopathic Treatment
Cholera is caused by the bacterium Vibrio cholerae transmitted through intake of food or water contaminated by the feces of the infected person while food poisoning occurs through use of infected or stale food. Cholera can affect any one at any age. The main symptoms of Cholera that is diarrhea and vomiting are somewhat similar to food poisoning.
Symptoms of Cholera
The symptoms usually appear suddenly due to a very short incubation period and become sever right away. Common symptoms are:
- Sever diarrhea and vomiting, which can be very frequent and profuse causing rapid dehydration. The severity of dehydration weakens the patient and can lead even to death. If cholera outbreaks as epidemic, the death rate can be quite high.
- In many cases, food or water is vomited out as soon as it reaches the stomach.
- Mild to sever abdominal pain.
- Mild or no fever at all. In fact the temperature may drop due to dehydration.
- General weakness due to dehydration.
If the sufferer is already weak in the body, the effects of cholera can be severer and even fatal. Weak and under nourished persons particularly the children in poor countries are easy targets of cholera.
Diarrhea and vomiting caused by cholera dehydrate the body; severer the symptoms, quicker will be the dehydration. The first thing that must always be done is to slow down or stop further dehydration. In case oral intake of liquids is not tolerated and is vomited out as soon as taken, the fluids may have to be administered intravenously.
There are a good number of very effective homeopathic medicines that can rapidly control the diarrhea, vomiting and fever and can cure cholera. They include Aconitum Napellus, Arsenicum Album, Camphora, Cantharis, Carbo Vegetabilis, Ipecacuanha, Veratrum Album and many others. I have seen Arsenicum Album, Camphora, Ipecacuanha and Veratrum Album giving very rapid effects. The medicine, potency and dose would depend on symptoms/modalities and condition of the patient, which a homeopath can easily look into.