Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
What is Irritable Bowel Syndrome?
It is a commonly found disorder of the digestive system and is a group of symptoms representing functional disorder, not a disease. IBS is not considered "dangerous" for health in the sense that it does not directly cause other serious health problems but is quite bothersome and annoying. The condition may be acute or chronic, may change from time to time or may even disappear for some time.
Symptoms of IBS
The symptoms of IBS may vary from person to person but commonly found symptoms are:
- Bloating of abdomen and flatulence (gas).
- Abdominal cramps that may at times be strong enough to force the patient to bend double.
- Diarrhea or constipation. Diarrhea and constipation may also alternate with each other.
- The stools may be accompanied by mucus.
- The evacuation is unsatisfying, that is the evacuation of stool seems incomplete even though one may strain or wait for long.
- Need of going to the toilet soon or even immediately after the meal. In many cases it happens in the morning.
Causes of IBS
Modern medical science is unaware of the exact cause of IBS. Why the cramping of abdomen occurs is also not known. One probable cause could be frequent and prolonged use of certain food items affecting the person according to his/her sensitivity.
Homeopathic Treatment of IBS
Even though the cause is not exactly known, symptomatic homeopathic treatment can cure it. All that it takes is homeopathic medicines and some changes in the diet according to symptoms. For example, avoiding milk products should only be recommended if the person has diarrhea and acidic food should be forbidden in case of constipation. This is because every food item has different effects on the body and digestive system. The recommendation must be according to what a person needs. It must not be generalized because body chemistry of everyone is not the same.
Please note that information provided on this website is for general purpose only. It does not constitute a medical advice nor is a replacement for the advice of your doctor. If you need medical treatment or advice, please consult your doctor.