Home » boericke » u z » uva ursi
Urinary symptoms most important. Cystitis, with bloody urine. Uterine hemorrhage. Chronic vesical irritation, with pain, tenesmus, and catarrhal discharges. Burning after the discharge of slimy urine. Pyelitis. Calculous inflammation. Dyspnea, nausea, vomiting, pulse small and irregular. Cyanosis. Urticaria without itching.
Frequent urging, with severe spasms of bladder; burning and tearing pain. Urine contains blood, pus, and much tenacious mucus, with clots in large masses. Involuntary; green urine. Painful dysuria.
Compare: Arbutin (a crystallized glucoside of Uva; found also in Kalmia, Gaultheria and other genera of the family of Eriacee; given in doses of 3 to 8 grains with sugar three times a day. Used as an urinary antiseptic and diuretic). Arctosphylos manzanita (acts on renal and reproductive organs. Gonorrhea, vesical catarrh, diabetes menorrhagia. Tincture of leaves). Vaccinum myrtillus-Huckleberries--(dysentery; typhoid, keeps intestines aseptic and prevents absorption and reinfection).
Tincture, five to thirty drops. In pyelitis a trituration of the leaves.
(Reference: Homeopathic Materia Medica by William Boericke)
(Arctostaphylos uva-ursi. Bearberry. N. O. Ericacee. Tincture or trituration of dried leaves and fruit. Tincture of fresh leaves gathered in autumn.)
Clinical.─Cystitis. Dysuria. Hematuria. Urinary affections.
Characteristics.─A few experiments have been made with Uva, and these have seemed to accentuate its traditional reputation as an "astringent used to check excessive secretion of mucus, as in urinary and bronchial affections, and even in calculus." The keynote indications are: Painful micturition with burning sensation. Burning after the discharge of slimy urine. Slime passes with blood. In one cured case there were pains shooting through from hip to hip. The bladder symptoms are > lying on the back.
Relations.─Compare: Arbut., Gaulther., and Ericacee generally.
2. Head.─Slight vertigo and headache.
5. Nose.─Fluent coryza with rawness.
11. Stomach.─Weak, sick at stomach, sore all over as if bruised.
14. Urinary Organs.─Slimy urine; slime passes with blood.─Painful micturition; burning after the slime passes.─Hematuria; slimy, purulent urine.─Green urine.─Constant urging and straining.─Shooting pain from hip to hip, bladder and urethra sensitive.
17. Respiratory Organs.─Hoarseness with pain in bowels; stopped up in throat; no appetite.─Throat tickles, feels like coughing all the time; sore and bruised all over; cough; nose raw and burning; cutting and burning on urinating.
(Reference: "A Dictionary Of Practical Materia Medica" By John Henry Clarke)